|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
Responsible Dog Ownership
With all the companionship and love that our dogs give so freely, it's hard to imagine that some owners just don't take responsibility for their dogs. But it's true. Millions of dogs-healthy dogs-are euthanized every year. Whether through owner neglect or owner ignorance, millions of healthy dogs will endure the same fate this year. So what's a responsible dog owner to do? The best thing you can do, as a dog owner, is to ensure that your dog doesn't become a statistic, and you do that through responsible pet ownership.
Welcoming a new dog into your house means taking on additional long-term responsibility. Many new dog owners find something cute or romantic about bringing that puppy in the window home until they realize that there's a modicum of work involved in caring for that cute, adorable little face, and a price to pay for those wet, slobbering kisses. You wouldn't expect to return a baby. Its' no less wrong to return a dog when the novelty wears off, and it ought to be criminal to leave a dog somewhere on its own. In many ways, dogs are as vulnerable as newborn infants are, but dogs are dependent upon their owners for their entire lives.
Listed below you'll find basic steps to responsible dog ownership, and many of them are just common-sense rules of the road.
1. Selecting Your Dog - Turn to a local animal shelter or rescue operation to select a puppy or dog. Remember that older dogs need loving owners too. Refuse to purchase a puppy or dog that started life in a puppy mill.
2. Test Your Dog - Contact a veterinarian and ask him to run the usual series of tests on your new companion.
3. Spay or Neuter Your Dog - Responsible pet owners always spay and neuter their dogs and cats. There are far more dogs waiting for adoption than there are owners to adopt them.
4. Provide Medical Care - Aside from the annual physical examination and vaccinations, protect your dog from heartworm, ticks and fleas. Talk with your vet about the many options available today. Contact your vet at the first sign that something is wrong with your dog.
5. Provide Adequate Food and Water - Provide food suited to your dog's age, size and condition.
6. Walk Your Dog - Your dog will let you know when it needs to be walked.
7. Provide Exercise and Recreation - Provide ample space, dog toys and opportunity for your pet to exercise. If you haven't thrown a Frisbee in twenty years, you'll be surprised at how much fun it is to try to outsmart your dog-unlikely!
8. Protect Your Dog from Abuse - Animal cruelty is serious business, and in some states, it's a felony. Even the FBI acknowledged that animal cruelty is a known marker (future indicator) of violence against humans. If anyone in your house intentionally mistreats your dog, seek help immediately. You could thwart the next school shooting.
9. Discourage Aggressive Behavior - You'll know the difference between hearty play and aggressive behavior. Contact your vet at the first sign of aggressive behavior to discuss your options.
10. Coping with Serious Illness and Geriatric Dogs -Geriatric dogs are prone to many of the same illnesses that plague geriatric humans. You'll want to do everything in your power to keep your dog comfortable at the end, but at some point, it may become necessary to end the suffering. If you've been a responsible dog owner throughout the dog's life, you'll want to end that life just as responsibly as you cared for it.
M J Plaster is a successful author who provides information on shopping online for dog food and more dog products. M J Plaster has been a commercial freelance writer for almost two decades, most recently specializing in home and garden, the low-carb lifestyle, investing, and anything that defines la dolce vita.
Lemon Tetra - A Perfect Addition for Your Community Aquarium
Lemon TetraGlassily transparent, the lemon tetra (hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) could appear to be just a sunbeam flashing through your community tank if not for background elements like plants and driftwood. Another member of the large characin clan, the lemon tetra has a fairly elongated body like its smaller relative the neon tetra and like neons and other characins, the lemon tetra does best if kept in small schools of six to eight fish.
Dog Training Basics
All positive commands should be spoken sharply and distinctly during training. Make sure you also use a positive tone.
Weaning Puppies Is Only Natural
Weaning puppies is a perfectly natural process. Mamma dogs have been doing it successfully for ages, so how hard can it be, right?But humans, not being dogs, can sometimes forget the natural part, and get confused about it.
Mommy, Can I Keep That Stray Dog?
How many times have you seen this situation where a child comes through the door with a dog in tow? It looks skinny and skittish and is in need of a good meal and a bath. The child is looking with big eyes imploring, pleading, and desperately wanting a yes.
A German Shepherd Puppy May Be Just What Your Family Needs!
A German Shepherd puppy can become a very welcome member of your household. German Shepherd puppies bond with the family, and you will never have a truer friend.
The Cure To Stop A Horse From Kicking
I get a lot of horse training questions about stopping a horse from kicking. The kicking habits of these horses range from the horse kicking at virtually anyone to kicking at only the husbands.
Doggy Dental Care: Teeth Cleaning 101
Your dog's dental health is so important for his total well-being..
Why Does My Pet Eat Grass?
Are you concerned when your dog or cat eats grass, then throws up afterwards? You'll probably feel relieved to know that pets eat grass because their bodies need it.Dogs and cats have been eating grass for a long time.
Things To Think About Before You Buy A Pet Bird
While a bird is an easy pet to care for, they do require just as much commitment and preparation as any other type of pet. Whether you are buying a small parakeet or an large parrot, you should make sure that you are prepared to care for your new feathered friend properly.
You Can Help Reduce the Number of Unwanted Cats - Spaying and Neutering of Cats
Every year, hundreds of thousands of cats and kittens are destroyed because they are unwanted. Animal shelters that take in these animals and try to find them homes are overcrowded.
Price of Unconditional Love
Why is it that cats get no respect? Are they really the Rodney Dangerfield of the animal world? Dogs get the esteemed title of "Man's Best Friend," while the domestic felines seem to be bastardized as temperamental annoyances. Sure, they can be finicky creatures, as I've heard numerous complaints over the years from guy friends that they have had to pass the "cat test" before getting any play from the female owners they are pursuing.
Lyme Disease Treatment in Pets
Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics, because the disease is caused by a bacterium that is introduced to your pet through a bite from a tick carrying the disease.Antibiotics will be taken for a long period of time and some times and may not be very effective if your pet has had the disease for a long period of time.
Defend Your Dog and Stop that Hurting Paw!
Of course, we humans use shoes to protect our feet. We insist on it! But dogs usually don't have that luxury, and routinely walk over ice, rock, grass, cement and soil on their bare paws.
Stop Your Dog From Pulling You Down The Street
From the first day of life on a leash, most dogs learn that by pulling on it, they get to where they want faster. Its the behavior that so many dog owners struggle with.
Fur Isnt Such a Good Sunscreen
You might think the most important bit of dog health advice would be to let your furry loved on spend all day enjoying the outdoors. But you'd only be half-right.
How Do Your Customer View Your Pet Business?
There are thousands of local and online Pet Stores but most people only know about Petco and PetsMart. The reason these businesses have succeed is because of consistent advertising so the customer does not forget their name (brand).
It is always sad when a beloved animal family member leaves their body and goes into spirit. We call this death, but truly, no one dies.
Parachromis managuense has a bad reputation, just like many of the other large predatory cichlids. This reputation is largely undeserved, and besides, the positive sides of these fishes more than make up for any negative ones.
Pet Bird Home Hazards - Keep Your Feathered Friend Safe
Interacting with a pet bird outside of it's cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but the home that is safe for us, may not be so safe for our feathered friends. The little day to day things that we take for granted can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.
Dog Breath-It Doesnt HAVE to Be SO Bad!
While your friends and family are amazed that you'reraising such an amazing dog, you notice that they flinchwhen the dog gets too close. They may shrug away or notbend down to pet him as they once did.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List