|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
How to Build a Dog House for Your Puppy
So you'd like to know how to build a dog house? Well, that means we're talking to less than 50% of all dog owners. Why? Because current survey information at OpinionTrone says most dog owners (over 50%) allow their pets on the family couch. Furthermore, if you allow your pet on the couch, chances are that you do not HAVE a dog house!
But for those of you who do, there are really good things to remember about how to build a dog house:
1. Any good how to build a dog house plan should begin by making sure the house is big enough to accommodate your dog's ultimate grown-up size. You would not like to live in a house whose ceiling was below your head height--neither would your dog. Most humans like about 2 feet of air above themselves in a room in order to live without feelings of claustrophobia! That comfort zone is about 1/3 of their standing height. Allow your pet the same airiness. Figure out how tall it will stand as a mature pet and make sure the ceiling of the dog house is 1/3 again taller!
2. Raise the house a few inches off the ground to allow air and water to flow beneath. Ventilation is important for the health of your dog and to dissuade pests from invading its home. A few nickel-sized holes in the walls under the eaves should be sufficient. Install a wind block inside the house so the dog can use the heat of its own body to warm up the area if it is really cold and windy outside. Any good plan for how to build a dog house will have a house big enough so that a partial wall will allow the dog to escape the elements. The dog can choose whether to just sleep in the entry room or go around the inner archway maze wall into the inner sanctum. Both areas could have bedding or a pillow, such as one filled with cedar chips to discourage fleas.
3. Make the floor just the littlest bit slanted toward the doorway. Any good "how to build a dog house" plan will make certain that any rain that does enter via the ventilation holes or doorway automatically drains out. Make sure that the roof is built at a slant, as well, for obvious run-off reasons. Do not paint the inside of the house, but do make sure that the house is well insulated.
4. Make sure the dog house faces away from the major storm direction. In the U.S., most storms come from the south and west. Not all, mind you, but most! So most how to build a dog house plans will suggest that the ideal placement of a dog house door is to the east. That way, even in the wintertime, the cold north wind will not whip inclement weather into the dog's entryway.
5. Finally, almost all how to build a dog house plans will have you put hinges on the roof of the house for easy cleaning. When you clean the dog, you should clean its house and bedding--just as faithfully as you would wish your pet to be to you!
About The Author
Description: Stephanie is a dog lover and the editor of the Cute Puppy Dog Newsletter. You can subscribe at http://www.cutepuppydog.com/cutepuppydognewsletter.html (every subscribers get 20 exclusive puppy pics, 2 dog screensavers and 3 dog ebooks).
Five Cat Food Factors That Discourage Feline UTD
One of the most common causes of Feline Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) is what your cat eats. A feline diet that is too high in carbohydrates and magnesium, and low in protein can lead to FLUTD.
Dogs, Cats, Horses?We Love Them All!
We have a long history with domesticated animals and even the nay Sayers can't deny their roll in society past and present.There is evidence that as long as 10,000 years ago the Native Americans had domesticated dogs as depicted in early rock paintings.
Dog Trick To Cure A Nuisance Barker: Training Buddy to "Speak" on Command
All breeds and sizes of dogs can be taught easily to speak, and the way to go about it is to call your dog, show him a treat and say "Speak." He will not understand what you mean and will probably at first jump for it, and then sit down and eye it attentively; finally, he will get impatient and utter a sharp bark, which is what you have been waiting for, and the instant he does so reward him with the treat.
How to Groom Your Horse
Grooming means taking care of the physical maintenance of the horse. The sight of a well-groomed horse gives immense pleasure to true horse lovers.
Dogs and Old Age, How To Care For Your Aging Canine
Now that you're dog has shown you so much love andbrought you so much joy throughout your many yearstogether, it's time that you return the favor when the dogreaches his elder years. Caring for an older dog is much likecaring for an elderly person.
You Must Train Your Dog From A Young Age
The best thing to do is to start training your new puppy as soon as you get him home. You need to teach your puppy your rules, and how you expect him to behave starting from a very early age.
Garbage-Raiding Dogs: One Simple Solution to the Problem
Got a mischevious mutt on your hands? Then you may know this scenario. You walk in the door and your pal greets you with elated tail wagging, wiggling and sloppy doggy kisses.
How to Protect Your Dog and Family from Roundworms
Nearly every puppy in the world is born with roundworms. This is because the roundworm's larvae are transmitted from the mother to the puppy while it is still in the womb.
When goldfish swim up to the glass of the tank, does it mean they are smart enough to recognize people?Goldfish sure are smart not in the sense as dogs are, but they are smart. They will swim up to meet you probably because they think you are going to feed them.
Pet Pampering Business is Booming
It's no secret that Americans love their pets. In fact, we spendbillions of dollars every year on feeding, grooming, and vetvisits, as well as toys and other pampering supplies.
Five Snake Care Tips for Beginners
If you're looking for an unusual, eye-catching pet, it's hard to go wrong with a snake. They're exotic enough to catch people's interest, yet hardy enough to require minimal care.
How To Prevent Your Horse Going Lame From The Most Common Cause Of Lameness
There are lots of ways a horse can go lame. Perhaps the most common cause of lameness is a result of Navicular Syndrome.
Dog Clicker Training
Dog clicker training is so much fun for both dogs and people that the training part just slips in! Dog clicker training gets the dog to figure out what you want, making it an enjoyable game.This wonderful, cruelty-free method is revolutionizing dog training!Have you tried it yet? It's quite easy to learn at a basic level, and once you and your dog get the habit, it can be used for many enjoyable tricks as well as for all the essentials of training.
Is Dog Obedience School for You?
Are you thinking about dog obedience school? Do you know what to expect out of it? Do you know what it costs or where to find a good school?If not, let me help take out some of the mystery of finding one to make sure you and your dog get the best experience you can.If you have searched the web in this topic, you probably found some sites that are basically search engines within search engines, no real information about dog obedience schools.
Why Should We Get Kittens as Pets?
Kittens are and have always been adorable creatures. Of course, these youngsters are also playful, naughty and mischievous as well.
"On Trust" & "Paid For": One of the Oldest Dog Tricks that Never Fail to Entertain
"On Trust" & "Paid For" for are one of the oldest dog tricks that afford as much entertainment as anything a dog can do since the early 1900s. It is not the easiest trick to be taught but can be elaborated on and presented in several different forms to impress most people.
Tired of Vet Bills?
Do you make a lot of trips to the vet's office? Do you spend your hard-earned money on vet bills because your dog suffers from chronic ailments? Give your dog or cat the nutrition he needs, and chances are you can spend your money on other things rather than giving it to your veterinarian.Nutritional deficiencies are often the cause of chronic ailments in pets.
Telepathic Communication With Animals
Animal Communication, or telepathy with animals, is as common an occurrence in some people's lives as it is an oddity in the lives of others. Telepathy is an energetic exchange between two sentient beings for the purpose of communication.
Your Purrrfect Companion
Out of all the pet animals, the cat is most expressive about its needs. The feline loves to be pampered and cared for.
Does Your Bichon Frise Eat His Own Poop?
Hi,I'm Janet CombsMy mother bred and raised Bichon Frises for 23 years. I have been a Bichon Frise breeder for 13 years.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List