|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
7 Good Reasons to Have Your Cat Spayed or Neutered
Every year, many cat owners decide to get their cat spayed or neutered. This decision is made for several different reasons, all of which illustrate why it is such a good idea.
The many problems caused by un-spayed or un-neutered pets each year are part of what has prompted numerous humane societies to require that any adopted animals be promptly spayed or neutered as a condition of adoption. Many of the problems that are listed below would be alleviated if more people took the time to get their pets spayed or neutered.
With that kept in mind, here are the top seven reasons to have your cat spayed or neutered.
1. The most important reason is simply that there are too many unwanted litters of kittens. Millions of cats are euthanized each year. 90% of these animals would be acceptable for adoption into families, unfortunately, there simply are not enough families looking for cats to give these animals a good home. A single un-spayed female cat can produce three litters per year, with an average of four to six kittens per litter.
2. Unwanted cats that are not euthanized or adopted are often abandoned and become feral. It is estimated that the feral cat population is as large as the current number of cats that have homes. Feral cats can carry diseases as well as harm the populations of wild rodents and birds. As a result, a large feral cat population can have a damaging effect on the environment. By having your own cat spayed or neutered, you can ensure that your pet will not contribute to the growing problem.
3. Un-spayed female cats go into heat several times a year. By spaying your cat, you can prevent several unwanted behaviors, including spraying, hours of yowling, and you will not have to confine your cat for several weeks out of the year.
4. Male cats that have not been neutered are also more difficult to care for. Sexually mature male cats often feel a need to mark their territory. Also, the mating instincts in un-neutered cats cannot be curbed or controlled, and often these male cats will wander off for days at a time in search of a female that is in heat. Sometimes when male cats wander they get lost and do not come home. By neutering your cat, you can prevent this.
5. It is better for your cat's health to be spayed or neutered. For example, female cats that are spayed before their first heat will have a reduced chance of mammary cancer, and will be unable to develop pyometra, which is a serious uterine condition that can cause death. Also, an unwanted pregnancy in an already ill or aging cat can be fatal. Male cats which have been neutered have less chance of being injured in fights over females, or of developing prostate problems
6. Spayed or neutered cats are often more friendly with their owners than they would usually be. Not only are the cats more friendly, but as has been mentioned before, there are fewer unwanted behaviors for their owners to contend with. It's much easier to have a good relationship with your cat when you don't have to worry about all of the unfortunate situations that come up after your pet has reached sexual maturity.
7. Getting your cat spayed or neutered will save you money in the long run. First, it can save you money by eliminating the need to replace furniture that has been damaged by a female cat in heat, or a male cat marking its territory. Next, since the procedure is fairly cheap, it may save you a lot of money by preventing health problems in your pets.
Something to remember: You should still get your cat spayed or neutered, even if you don't think that you can afford the procedure. Look around in your area for cheap or even free services.
About The Author
Larry Chamberlain is the webmaster of www.best-cat-art.com and a lifelong cat lover. He lives in London England.
Secrets of Kitty Body Language
Kittens communicate in a very distinct way. Did you know that every twitch, every purr, every motion actually means something.
Last summer, we added a new pet to our family - our cat, Ally. She was a sweet, shorthaired, stray kitten that we picked up from a neighbor's house.
Take that Junk out of your Trunk
Your local grocery store is chock full of food and treats that are stuffed with bad quality ingredients. It is a real shock that the shelves do not simply collapse under the weight of all that rubbish.
5 Ways to Pamper Your Parrot
We are all busy these days and I know it's hard to meet all the demands in your life. But, it's time for a breather.
Dog Jewelry: A Celebration of Mans Best Friend
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent.
Glassily transparent, the lemon tetra (hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis) could appear to be just a sunbeam flashing through your community tank if not for background elements like plants and driftwood. Another member of the large characin clan, the lemon tetra has a fairly elongated body like its smaller relative the neon tetra and like neons and other characins, the lemon tetra does best if kept in small schools of six to eight fish.
How to become Top Dog - A Dog Owners Guide to Sanity
Peeing on the carpet, knocking you down, or stealingdinner off the counter are all signs that your dogdoesn't respect your rules. In other words, you are notthe Alpha Dog.
Thats No Paris Hilton! An Overview of Dog Obedience Training Videos
Mention the word "video" and different people would come up with different ideas. Some would remember those home movies they made during special occasions spent with family and friends.
Safety in the Fresh Air and the Outdoors for Your Cat - How To Build a Cattery
Animal welfare organizations and humane societies have been very successful in helping people to accept that their cats are safer living exclusively indoors, especially in urban areas. However, cat lovers still want to give their cats a chance to enjoy fresh air and all the sights and sounds that come with it.
The Importance of a Plan When Building a Reptile Cage
Would you put together a model plane without looking at the finished plane picture or looking at the plans? Does a builder build a house without a plan?The answer to these is pretty clearly no. A homemade snake or other reptile cage is so much simpler though, you say.
Heartworms Alert - Know The Warning Signs To Save Your Pets Health!
Has your pet recently been coughing, eating less, or being more lethargic than usual? If so, it is possible that your pet is infected with heartworms and may need immediate help and attention. Heartworms may infect a host for up to 2 years before any signs or symptoms are visible, and often when they are diagnosed it may be too late for some pets.
So You Want To Own A Ferret?
You've seen them in movies and on TV shows, and the local pet store usually has some for sale. They seem to be intelligent and cuddly.
How to Paint Your Cat
Why paint your cat? After all cats are beautiful creatures if you want to appreciate the appearance of a feline, you look at the cat not at a painting.Some of the reasons that you may want to paint your cat are:To capture your pet at a particular age, in a particular pose, in a particular place.
Dog doors - dog and owner reprieve
Buying dog doors onlineIf you need to buy a dog door then have some fun doing it online. Not only will you find discount prices but you'll have a huge selection of colors, designs, shapes, sizes and multiple features you haven't even thought about.
The Neurotic Dogs
When pondering whether my neurosis is learned or genetic, I often turn to the family dogs, Frazier (9) and Jake (4), and see the likelihood of a learned origin. My parents' characteristic anxiety has effectively seeped into both dogs' personas.
Protect Your Pets From The Pound
Pets are people, too. At least, that's the way they should be treated by their owners.
Owning a Wild or Exotic Cat; Information, Laws, and Advice
Have you ever dreamed of living with a bobcat or having a pet tiger? You're not alone, and many people share their lives responsibly and safely with such animals. My beloved companion is a African Serval, a very affectionate 33-pound spotted feline.
Dog Vaccinations: Doing Shots
Vaccinations play an important part in the preventive healthcare of your pet. There are nasty doggie diseases out there, and for some of these, vaccination is your pooch's only real protection, as there may be no cure once the disease is contracted.
Arthritis Pain Relief For Dogs - Simple Home Remedies That Work
Did you know that arthritis affects one in five dogs over the age of seven? It is a painful condition that affects the joints and can occur in your pet's neck, hips, shoulders, elbows and back. However, there are many simple solutions that you can provide at home that will relieve the aches and pains in your dog's joints.
New Book Helps Worried Owners Of A Pregnant Cat
'Help, my cat is pregnant and I don't know what to do!' Not a day goes by without someone posting this message to an Internet forum.Worried cat owners will know what to do if they read How To Take Care Of Your Pregnant Cat.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List