|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
The Humble Hamster: A Great First Pet for Your Child
Thinking of getting a pet for your little ones? How about a hamster? They're cute, inexpensive, easy to care for, and a great first pet that will teach your child how to be more responsible. Here are some things I learned during my experience as a hamster owner. I hope they aid you in your pet-purchasing decision.
- Hamsters are nocturnal creatures, so expect minimal activity during the day and a fair amount of noisemaking from the hamster cage after hours. Place the cage in a warm, draft-free, secluded spot in the house, where potential activity won't cause a disturbance in the night. Be sure that the lid or door of the cage is securely latched tight, as hamsters are fond of making the occasional midnight escape. As a little girl I awakened many a morning to find my hamster missing, having jimmied the lock on his cage somehow. On several occasions I found him vacationing in a mouse hole behind our kitchen stove and had to coax him out with his water bottle (I'm not kidding about this). It always amazed me that he never injured himself on these wild adventures.
- Unlike guinea pigs, hamsters are solitary dwellers. Doubling or tripling up is definitely not a good idea, as hamster roommates will fight and may seriously injure each other. Your hamster will be quite content to live his adult life in his 'single room apartment.' Be sure to provide him with a sturdy cage of either the plastic and metal store-bought variety, or a roomy fish tank with a secure top. Hamster housing essentials: a water bottle that doesn't leak, dry cedar or pine bedding to line the bottom of the cage, an exercise wheel, and a steady supply of hamster food, all of which you can purchase at the pet store. You may also want to buy him a salt lick and a little box of hamster treats.
- Once your hamster settles into his new home, the first thing he'll do is build himself a cozy nest. Hamsters are quite funny with their housekeeping ways. You can watch yours fill up his cheek pouches with cedar bedding until he looks just like a blowfish; it's really quite amusing to see. Then he'll run to the corner of the cage and unload the contents of his cheeks. He'll do this over and over until he has a nice, big hill of bedding, and then he'll tuck himself right into the middle and drift off to sleep. He'll likely not want to be disturbed until the sun goes down, upon which you'll see him venture out of his nest, have a nibble of his food and then maybe go for a spin on his hamster wheel. Your hamster will even establish a specific spot in the cage that he uses for a bathroom!
- Wet tail is a common hamster ailment that can easily be cured with medicine that you can purchase at the pet store. If your hamster has wet tail, you'll notice his stools will be watery and he may also have a bit of a runny nose, too. Wet tail is the hamster version of a cold and should be treated promptly, as hamsters are not hearty creatures. To keep your hamster healthy and well, make sure his cage is kept in a warm, draft-free area in the house. Hamsters originate from a warm climate and therefore should not be exposed to a chill.
- Your hamster cage should be thoroughly cleaned out at least once a week. It's best to tackle this task outside or near a slop sink in a basement or garage, as it does get messy. Empty all the bedding into the garbage, wipe down any remaining soiled parts, and then use hot, soapy water to wash out the cage. Do not clean your hamster cage with bleach, as a residue can remain that will harm your hamster if he ingests it.
- If you've taken your hamster out for a little fun, never leave him unattended on a tabletop or high counter, even for a second. Hamsters do not have depth perception and will no doubt make a sudden dash for the edge of the table. You wouldn't want your hamster to break his leg, would you? On the other hand, he will enjoy a safe romp in his enclosed hamster ball. You can buy one at any pet store.
If you or your children aren't ready for the committment that having a dog brings, try a hamster on for size. Unlike a fish, you can give your hamster a kiss. Unlike a dog or cat, you don't need to feed him every single day or take your hamster outside. He will pretty much enjoy living a quiet hamster life in his hamster house. Sounds like the ideal pet to me!
Dina Giolitto is a New-Jersey based Copywriting Consultant with ten years of industry experience. Her current focus is web content and web marketing for a multitude of products and services although the bulk of her experience lies in retail for big-name companies like Toys"R"Us. Visit http://www.wordfeeder.com for rates and samples.
The Truth About Dog Food
These days, it's hard to know what decisions are the best ones for our beloved pets. So much information, so many conflicting theories and opinions! When it comes to dog food, is wetter better? Or should you give dry a try?In this article, I'm not going to tell you what to feed your dog.
So You Want an American Pit Bull Terrier?
You've made up your mind, it's the American Pit Bull Terrier youwant as your companion. Are you ready for this breed? Read thisarticle and then decide if you want to go ahead with yourdecision.
Distemper in Dogs - Home Detection Tips
Distemper: Spotting This Dog Killer Before it's Too LateCanine distemper is a devastating disease. It often crops up in seemingly healthy pets without any warning.
Thanks to Disney's Motion Picture 'Finding Nemo,' almost everybody is familiar with clownfish.Clownfish, or Anemonefishes, from the family Pomacentridae, are one of the easiest tropical marine aquarium fish to breed.
Want to Feel Better? Go Stroke Your Cat!
Stroking your cat can be good for your health! It has long been known that pet ownership is good for you, we all need someone or something to love. It is also believed that stroking a pet, such as a cat, reduces stress levels and helps you to have a more positive perspective on life.
Parachromis managuense has a bad reputation, just like many of the other large predatory cichlids. This reputation is largely undeserved, and besides, the positive sides of these fishes more than make up for any negative ones.
Universal Principles For Successful Dog Training
Dog training is not rocket science and is not as difficult as you think. It is certainly possible for ANY dog owners to train their dogs themselves provided they put in adequate amount of effort.
The Importance Of A Proper Correction
There are headstrong dogs that know too well that a verbal "no" from you is the worst that they're gonna get and this will quickly lead to them ignoring the handler. In the wild when one of the pack is out of line, he is corrected by the Alpha.
Caring For Your Pomeranians Teeth
Pomeranians have tiny mouths and itty bitty teeth, but not caring for them properly can cause serious health problems for your dog.Dental disease in dogs can cause serious health issues as the bacteria from infected gums and teeth can "spread" to other parts of the body and affect vital organs such as the heart, kidneys and intestines.
Your Cat The Hunter
Many cat owners believe that their good little kitty would not even dream of going hunting.After all, their cat is loved and well fed.
Puppy Vaccines Assure Wagging Tails and Wet Noses
When you get a new puppy it is imperative that he receive all his proper puppy vaccines. These protect him from getting diseases if he becomes exposed to them.
How To Prevent Your Horse Going Lame From The Most Common Cause Of Lameness
There are lots of ways a horse can go lame. Perhaps the most common cause of lameness is a result of Navicular Syndrome.
What Your Cat Wants You To Know
If your feline friend could speak your language, here a few things she would probably like you to know.1) I am the boss of you.
Aquarium Supplies Part 1 -- My First Experience With Bettas
Keeping fish as pets takes more than just feeding them and changing the water every once in a while. Sadly, many people aren't aware of that and they just buy aquarium fish because they're attractive.
Protecting The Family Pet
Ever since the beginning of time there has always been the pet and the family, today's pets have become an integral part of the family, and even considered by some to be a part of the family. With this relationship being so vital, protection of the family pet is a major concern of many pet owners.
The Dreaded Vet Visit: 5 Ways to Comfort Your Dog
Uh-oh, it's that time again. The dreaded vet visit, and Barkley will be whimpering all the way.
Proper Diet For the Discus Fish
The Discus fish has its habitat in the South American waters of Brazil and Peru. Discus fish are classified as "grazers", and in the wild constantly forage for food.
Ten Important Things Your Dog Wants You To Know
If your dog could talk, these are some of most important things she would like to tell you..
Choose an Acrylic Bird Cage
Congratulations. You've decided to buy a bird, and you even know what kind.
Petting a Dog is Good For Both of You
Studies have shown that regularly petting a dog brings a person the following benefits: Lower blood pressure Lower cholesterol Lower risk of heart disease Improvement in chronic illnesses (such as Alzheimer's or AIDS) Improvement in emotional condition -- easing of stress, sadness, and pain.A lot of that is common knowledge.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List