|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
Breeding Your Goldfish
If you are keen on breeding Goldfish, you should know that it's not an easy task. It will take a lot of patience, a lot of space in the tank and quite a bit of money too. Don't get into breeding if you think it's going to be profitable, because it isn't! Breeding goldfish is best left to a professional but if you still want to breed them, here's how to begin:
Decide on the breed: You also must decide before hand what variety of goldfish you want to breed. Ideally, if you are a beginner you should decide on breeding a good quality single tail type fish like the comet.
Pair and choose the breeds: You must choose high quality goldfish to breed high quality goldfish. The goldfish you choose should be two-four years. A good quality goldfish would be assessed according to its finnage, body shape, size and color. They should be at least 4-6 inches or larger and very healthy. It's better to breed with younger fish as the older ones might produce eggs that are deformed and infertile.
* The ideal female goldfish would be heavy at the rear, protruding on the left part of her body and her anal area would be soft.
* The ideal male goldfish would be a great chaser and there should be signs of his breeding tubercles on his gills and pectoral fins.Begin with two females and three males. The idea is to have two males for every female.
Time to breedHere's the time plan to breed goldfish -
* You would need to plan a year ahead in the months of July or August. This is when most breeders sell their surplus fish at cheaper rates. If you skip this period than would find it hard to find a good breeding quality pair of goldfish.
* During the winter you must feed the fish and help them build enough body mass to last the winter and be ready for spawning in the early spring. By October or November, your fish would need less food and this is the time to not only clean the fish but also separate the males from the females.
Cleaning the fish: The solution you need to clean the fish is one measure of Terramycin, 80 drops of Formaldehyde and 6 drops of copper sulphate in four gallons of water. The solution should be at the right temperature and the fish should get enough oxygen to breathe. Allow the goldfish to remain in this solution for 20 minutes and then move them to a separate container of clean water while you prepare a spawning tank.
* Make sure you make the new tank a natural spawning area with bushy natural plants, artificial fibers or spawning mops and coconut fibers, all materials that can receive the spawn. Goldfish need such props for spawning.
Size of the spawning tank: You will need at least a tank that can hold 20 gallons of water. If the fish were bigger than you would need a bigger tank.
* Now that the fish are clean and the tank is clean too, do not feed the fish anything for the next two months except some amount of live food like insect larvae,worms, and brine shrimp. This preparation will help the females develop healthy and the males, milt that is needed to fertilize the eggs.
* If the winters are too cold in your area, you can consider using a heater.
* Watch the male goldfish developing breeding tubercles that look like white pimples on their gill covers and the pectoral fins.
* Watch the females become rounder body as it fills up with roe or eggs.How do you spot the spawning moment?
* Spawning usually happens in the early morning.
* The colors of all the goldfish will look brighter then before.
* The fish would group together while swimming.
* The males will be chasing the females at random.
* Finally the active males zero in on one particular female and chase her more than before.
* The chase will intensify with the male getting aggressive and pushing against the female goldfish till she ejects her eggs.* As the eggs are out the male will fertilize them by depositing milt over the eggs.
* The eggs will fall through the water, landing on plants. They stay in the same spot till they hatch.
* The spawning may begin again after some days of rest.
Point of note: Goldfish eat their eggs. Of the 10,000 eggs that are laid in one spawning session, hardly any will be left if the fish are not removed. So once the eggs are laid, move the parents back to another tank.
Dane Stanton - www.goldfish-secrets.com
Dane Stanton is an expert on goldfish health care. To visit his website visit http://www.goldfish-secrets.com for more information on Goldfish care and other aquarium related topics.*Recommended*
Cold Weather Pet Care
As we find ourselves in the middle of winter, it's important to pay particular attention to our pets when they're outside. When temperatures get into the twenties and below, with whipping winds, pets can suffer serious health problems.
How to Raise a Healthy Kitten
Selecting a Kitten It is best to choose your kitten from the whole litter, choose the frisky playful, friendly kitten that is confident and happy to approach you rather than the one that hangs back and is shy. The best time to take your kitten home is between 7 and 8 weeks old.
How To Stop Your Cat Spraying
The cat backs up to the door, lifts the tail and releases a fine spray of urine. Yes, your cat is spraying.
Canine Infectious Hepatitis
What is Canine Infectious Hepatitis?The word hepatitis refers to an inflamation of the liver. First reported in 1947, Canine Infectious Hepatitis (CIH), is a caused by canine adenovirus.
Pet Doors: Giving Your Pet Freedom to Come and Go as They Please Helps Solve Behavior Problems
Pet DoorsAre you considering installing a pet door for your pet? If so, you are in luck. Pet doors are becoming more common and more available.
Dog Vaccinations - What You Need to Know to Protect Your Dog
Almost all communities in the U.S.
Puppy Crate Training -- Fast Track to a Contented Dog
Puppy crate training is one of the most effective ways to housebreak your new puppy.Puppy crate training takes a little patience, but it's a good way to set your puppy on the right path.
Treating Dog Arthritis With Natural Supplements
Dog arthritis is one of the most common diseases that affect canines; especially large breed dogs (60-90 lbs) the best thing you can do is to prevent the occurrence of this disease with the appropriate supplements when your dog is 4 or 5 years old and not wait until symptoms show, but if your dog is already presenting symptoms and/or pain you should consider the option of natural treatment for your pet's condition.Osteoarthritis in dogs (or just dog arthritis) can be treated effectively with natural supplements that are as effective as commonly prescribed drugs and much safer because of the less risk of side effects.
Goldfish Tips - Finding Out The Gender of Your Goldfish
Boy or Girl?How can you tell whether your Goldfish is male or female? You might want to know because you want to breed them, or give them the right name before Jack turns out to be the mother Goldfish! Here are some clues that might help you sort out the Goldfish boys from the Goldfish girls:* The female Goldfish are slightly bigger than the males and look even heavier in the abdomen when they are full of eggs.* Male Goldfish develop white spots on their gills and pectoral called "breeding tubercles" during spawning time.
Dog Safety: How to Keep Your Pups Safe From Loss or Theft
According to the American Humane Society, just 15% of dogs in shelters ever find their way home again. Thankfully, these loved pooches had identification, enabling shelter personnel to contact and return them to their owners.
How Many Dogs Are Too Many?
I'm a pariah among the dog fanciers in my community. Why? Because I testified in support of a new regulation to limit pet ownership to no more than a total of three dogs and/or cats, older than six-months of age, in one household.
Are Your Fish Sick?
Keeping a fish tank is a wonderful and relaxing hobby, but it can turn stressful if your fish start to die off. The most common cause of fish disease is poor water quality so it is vital that you perform regular maintenance on the tank, making sure you do a partial water change periodically and clean out any waste or uneaten food so it does not decay and poison the water.
Crate Training Dogs: The Right Way and the Wrong Way - Part Two
Part2: Does your puppy want to be crate trained?Yes! in fact, he does. Your puppy or dog will soon see his crate as a place of security, IF it's approached correctly.
The Positve Benefits of Dog Day Care
Dog day care programs benefit the dogs of owner's who have busy lives and are not able to socialize and exercise their dogs. Owners benefit from a guilt free day of work or play and can come home to a calm, relaxed pet.
Westie - West Highland White Terrier Puppies - Fragile and Needful Of Protection
Have you ever held any Westie puppies? These tiny creatures are cuddly and white furry balls, at least 12-15 inches tall, possessing a pair of coal black eyes and snubbed nose. They look fragile and needful of your protection and care.
Immune System Booster for Your Pets
Many chronic diseases commonly seen in pets result from immune suppression. Diabetes, allergies, breathing difficulties, thyroid disease, inflammatory bowel diseases, recurrent ear infections, and even cancer, are all examples of an immune system gone wrong.
Protecting the Smallest Member of Your Family: A Step-by-step Guide to Pet Insurance
Let's face it - Fido and Fluffy are an important part of your family. Do you want to have to assign a dollar value to them if they become sick or injured?That may well be the case if you don't have pet health insurance.
The One Dog Trick That All Dogs Must Know - The Hand Shake Trick
The first dog trick that is generally taught a dog is to shake hands, and there are very few puppy and dog owners who do not teach their pets this simple trick.In most cases it is so easily accomplished that the amateur trainer does not know exactly how it was done, for if you take hold of a dog's paw and say "paw" or "shake" and repeat the performance often enough and at odd times, it will be the most natural thing for a dog to place his paw in your hand as soon as you extend it and he hears the word "paw," to which he has become accustomed.
Why Crate Train My Dog?
A few years ago, before I decided to stay home with my kids, I worked as a veterinarian technician in an animal hospital. While at that job I saw so many clients who would bring in their dog and be upset because they had eaten something in the house, other than food, and were now sick.
Five Snake Care Tips for Beginners
If you're looking for an unusual, eye-catching pet, it's hard to go wrong with a snake. They're exotic enough to catch people's interest, yet hardy enough to require minimal care.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List