|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
How do you build a goldfish pond outdoors?
The tools you will need are a shovel, pond liner and underlayment, a long enough rope, coping stones and decorations, plants, a pump (you will need a pump to run a filter, fountain, or waterfall and it will keep the water circulating and the plants healthy), a filter system and some cooperative friends or family members. Now you can get started.
Time to choose
Several options are available and you could actually build a goldfish pond in a day, depending on the size you want it to be. Begin by deciding where in the garden you would like a goldfish pond.
* It should be near your house, as that would make it more accessible to power supply sockets.
* It should not be at the end of a sloping garden because when it rains all the water along with the chemicals from the garden would run into the pond.
* It should not be under too much of shade, as a pond needs at least four hours of sunlight.
* It shouldn't be very near trees as the falling leaves and debris would fall in and clog the pond. You would be cleaning up all the time.
Time to dig
* Decide on the shape and size of the pond. Use the rope to outline the shape you want and then begin digging. That's why you need a couple of helping hands so that the work gets done faster!
* Do not go for a small pond for goldfish because they need space. Also try and keep different levels of depth, as in a swimming pool. Mark out the shallow areas and the deeper areas. This would give the pool a natural variety.
* Usually ponds in moderate climates should be at least 2 feet deep while in more colder climates, you would need to make sure that the pond is deep enough to allow for at least 12" to 16" of water below the freeze zone.
* Dig according to the shape you want and dig a shelf-like level around the perimeter of the pond, which is about one foot deep and one foot wide. Also make provisions for a waterfall by digging a slight slope to one end.
* Time now to position the external pond filters. If you have pond skimmers as well, then you would need to place and level these in the proper places. Also dig a ditch to the external pond pump from the skimmer and from the pump to the external pond filter or waterfall.
Time to line
* Now you have to line the pond with what is called as Pond Underlayment. This is a lining that can be cut according to the shape needed and can be taped together. This underlayment will help the pond lining to stay in place.
* You can now put the rubber pond liner into pond and spread it out.
* Make sure you smoothen the folds and position it evenly. Some folds will still be there but the water will take care of that.
Time for filters and waterfalls
* As the lining is in place, you must now get the Pond waterfalls and streams positioned. Place them to spill directly into the pond and put the pond liner against the pond filter.
* You can use a stone and secure it to the liner with mortar or expandable foam. This will hold back the water allow it to spill over the stone creating the waterfall.
Time to connectNow you will have to do all the connections as in connect the pond liner to the skimmer and position all the pipes and tubing according to the instructions given.
Time to decorate
* You're almost done. Use the copingstones to edge the outline the pond by arranging them around the pond folding the pond liner up behind the stone, slightly above the water level. (Use the mortar to if you feel the stones are not heavy enough to be stable). Add some shrubs around the edges too.
* You can create a cobblestone beach edging with gravel and cobbles.
* Make it look as natural as possible and keep a lot of plants to add on later, once the water is in.
Fill it up!
* Open the tap and fill it up with water till it is a few inches from the top and then make corrections if necessary to ensure that the pond is level. As the pond is filling remove wrinkles and make folds as necessary.
* Add dechlorinator to the pond to remove any chlorine or chloramines.
* Put in the gravel and plant the root plants into the gravel or with some soil still attached into the gravel. Plants should be added immediately after the pond is ready. Make sure you plant enough of Anacharis, as this plant helps to fight the algae and is like a natural filter. Put in water lilies as they help to shade the fish.
* Also add packaged bacteria to seed the pond filter and pond.
Point to note: Do not add the goldfish right after you build the tank. You must allow the pond to cycle and create the bacteria and other sustenance needed to support the fish. Introduce you goldfish into the pond after several weeks.
Dane Stanton - www.goldfish-secrets.com
Dane Stanton is an expert on goldfish health care. To visit his website visit http://www.goldfish-secrets.com for more information on Goldfish care and other aquarium related topics.*Recommended*
Training Your Dog To Sit
A poorly trained dog is a nuisance and can even be a danger to himself and others. A properly trained dog, on the other had, is a wonderful and pleasant companion.
You Should Teach Your Puppy Proper Chewing Behavior
As much as you may love your cute, new puppy, if she chews on everything in sight--including you--she will not be cute to you for very long. Puppies that are left to their own devices can destroy a home quickly.
How to Make Your Cats Life, and YOUR Life, Happier - Training Your Cat
Imagine that you are scolding your cat for scratching at your new furniture, and Kitty is sitting staring at you. Suddenly you realize how silly you look and how futile your scolding is.
How To Protect Your Pets From Fleas And Ticks
Fleas are wingless, blood-sucking insects that feed on dog, cats, humans and other species. There are many different types of flea each one specific to the animal that it lives on.
Dog Training Information for Training Your Puppy
Puppy TrainingPuppy training can be a trying time. The key to this time is to really remember that all puppy behavior is normal.
Puppy development and growth is very exciting. After a puppy gets over its fear of its new surroundings, it will become very curious.
What You Should Never Feed Your Dog
Unfortunately, there are a number of household items which we tend to take for granted that are potentially very dangerous to your dog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as you know, dogs are essentially scavengers and will often eat just about anything they can sink their fangs into.
Puppy Care 101
Puppy CarePuppy care can be a lot of work, but is also quite rewarding. This article should answer a lot of your questions you might have about your new puppy, or the puppy you are thinking about getting.
What Type of Cat Food is Really Best For Your Cat?
Which cat food should you feed your cat to be certain that he or she will have the proper nutrition? What is the best mix of food to assist your cat in living to the limit of it's life span?Let's examine the diet of a cat in it's natural environment. In the wild, a cat will eat almost entirely animal tissue.
Materials for Snake and other Reptile Cages
What kind of materials should you use when constructing a reptile cage? This question was posed to me once by someone wishing to build their own reptile cage. They were particularly asking about pine and cedar as they had heard these were no good.
Bark Collars: Stop Unwanted Dog Barking
Bark CollarsMany pet owners become lost as to what to do when their dog is barking and nothing seems to stop him. Maybe it doesn't even bother the pet owner himself, but the neighbors are complaining.
Breeding Tetra Fish Successfully
If you are keeping tetras, chances are you are breeding tetras, even if unknowingly. In the wild, tetras normally breed during the rainy season, but in the aquarium, they may breed year round.
West Highand WhiteTerriers - Westies Dogs - Footcare Health Tips
Westies dogs' owners delight in the companionship their dogs give them during long and leisurely walks. But this activity should be one that brings pleasure to both.
Is Your Dog Fat?
Obesity is one of the greatest health concerns facing dogs. You can and should do something about it.
Interesting Old Dog Tricks: For Dog Owners Looking For Fun & Laughter
The teaching and training of dog tricks while not a necessary part of a dog's education, is an achievement that offer dog owners and his friends a great deal of amusement and adds materially to the value of a dog.Training your dog tricks can be difficult and frustrating if you cannot achieve the results you want.
Veterinarians Set Record Straight
Most pet owners have become very educated about their pet and the health of their pet. Still, there are many others who tend to believe in the old wives tales and myths that have been passed around for some time now.
Secret Signal That Tells You Your Dog is Ready and Eager to Learn
No one knows your dog better than you, and as such you will findyour dog has ways of telling you, it's time to play. This canoccur by him bringing you the collar you use while training or hemay run back and forth to the front dog around training time.
Dog Pile - Please Pick It Up
I really do not hope your are eating something, but did you know that you can get a fake dog pile in long or round bits for a joke. My younger son had initiated this research of mine, by asking why I pick up the dog's business, even though he had done it on the grass.
Herbs for Pets
Let me begin by saying that I am not an herbalist. I do not recommend using herbs as internal medication for your pets unless you have consulted a holistic vet and/or have done extensive reading and research and feel safe treating your pet.
Top Five Dog Breeds for Homes with Children
Top five dog breeds for homes with children* Beagle* Bernese Mountain Dog* Bichon Frise* Bloodhound* Boston Terrier* Boxer* Brittany Spaniel* Bulldog* Coonhound* English Setter* Foxhound* Gordon Setter* Irish Setter* Keeshond* Labrador Retriever* Mastiff* Newfoundland* Pugs* Samoyed* Siberian Husky* Springer Spaniel* Standard Poodles* VizslaWith proper training of both the children and the dog, any one of the above breeds should be able to adapt without many problems. Of course, there are some individuals, both human and canine, that simply refuse to get along.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List