|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
The Dreaded Vet Visit: 5 Ways to Comfort Your Dog
Uh-oh, it's that time again. The dreaded vet visit, and Barkley will be whimpering all the way. It's days like this when you wish your dog understood English, so you could tell him, "Hey, even though scary people in white lab coats are sticking needles in you and shaving you in weird places, it's going to be okay. I'm here for you, buddy."
But since you can't offer your dog peace of mind with comforting words on the day of his Hated Trip to the Vet's Office, you can at least offer him some familiar comforts. Here are five ways to bring back the love in those fearful doggy eyes and keep that stubby tail wagging.
1. Take your fella out for an extra long walk. If a scheduled vet visit means you can't promise him a nice afternoon, at least give him an enjoyable morning of being out and about in the great outdoors. Fill his doggy mind with happy memories of blue skies, open roads, cool breezes and chipmunk chasing. He'll soon forget all about those frightening yowls he heard from the cat carrier at the vet's office!
2. Bring one of his favorite toys along. The vet's won't seem nearly as scary if your dog has something familiar to occupy him and put him at ease. Bring along a squeaky hotdog, Kong toy or other favorite toy of his, that he can play with in the car and as you sit together in the waiting room. Just don't forget to bring the toy back home with you again! You wouldn't want some schnauzer at the vet's office getting his paws on it!
3. If he's going for an overnight stay, don't forget his blankie. It's so heartbreaking to see your dog sick, confused and frightened in one of those cages at the vet's office. You know it's only temporary, but poor Jake doesn't know that! If you'll be leaving him overnight, comfort him with something familiar that smells like home... his doggie blanket, or a tee-shirt of yours that's been worn already. This way, he'll have thoughts of home and the scent of you, to help him feel safe and secure as he drifts off to sleep.
4. Don't forget the doggy treats! Chances are, your dog is probably not used to being around a bunch of unfamiliar dogs... and that visit to the vet's office is one big pet party that's sure to get him riled up and barking his head off. Bring along a little bag of doggy snacks, and slip him one every time he obeys your commands. With any luck, he'll be the best behaved dog of the bunch!
5. Lavish him with love and attention. When you return from your excursion, give him just a half hour more of your full attention. Play tug of war, wrestle on the family room rug, or take a dip together in the pool. When he's all tuckered out, feed him his dinner and tell him what a good and sweet boy he his. Scratch his belly and behind his ears, give him some big kisses and hugs, and tell him how much you love him. Pretty soon, he'll forget all about the vet's office! And so will you... that is, until you get the bill. ;)
Copyright 2005 Dina Giolitto. All rights reserved.
Dina Giolitto is a copywriting consultant and ghostwriter with 10 years of experience writing corporate print materials and web content. Trust her with your next e-book, article series or web project, and make a lasting impression on your audience of information-hungry prospects. Visit http://www.wordfeeder.com for more information.
Cats And Litter Box Problems
If your cat has recently decided not to use the litter box, this can create a lot of stress for both of you. This frequently happens, and often there is a simple fix for the problem.
Puppies, Kittens, Rabbits, Hamsters, Fish Tanks, Exotic Pets and Bird Houses!
Pet's, any kind of pet can be a welcome addition to your family. Children love to play with puppies and kittens.
Greyhound Adoption - Great Dogs, Great Cause
HistoryThroughout the US and in many parts of the world, greyhounds are used as racing dogs to support gambling. In the United States alone, there are roughly 40 dog tracks and hundreds of puppy farms and training facilities around the country.
Correcting a Dog Behavior Problem - Jumping
The first thing to realize when you are training a dog is that he only does things that work. Therefore, when you are dealing with a dog behavior problem, the first thing you need to address is, "What is he getting out of it?"With jumping, your dog is trying to get some attention-any attention.
Why Should I Adopt A Pet
Over the past couple of years, animal rescues have been gaining popularity and support from all sorts of pet lovers. Basically what rescues do is take in animals and adopt them out to loving homes.
How To Adopt A Shelter Cat - Your New Cat Will Thank You For Reading This Article
If you are thinking of adding a feline to your family, consider adopting a cat from your local animal shelter or humane society. The animals have been carefully screened for adoptability and have usually been worked with to enhance sociability.
No, No, No! Drop It, Drop It! Give It To Me Now!
Puppies can be so exasperating! They know what we want, and what we don't want, yet they continue to push our buttons. Wait a minute! Maybe we can rewire our buttons and bring them out of reach of Puppy! Use the following tips to help prevent Puppy Theft and other hiccups in Puppy's road to adulthood.
Beds for Smaller Dogs
All puppies are small dogs - some, however, won't be small for very long. You have to know how big your dog is going to be when it is fully grown before you can buy it a bed of its own, unless, that is, you don't mind buying your beloved canine friend a new bed every six months or so for several years.
Dog Training For Beginners
Training a dog is a fairly difficult task. Some find it to be very frustrating and simply send there dog or puppy to a professional trainer.
Garbage-Raiding Dogs: One Simple Solution to the Problem
Got a mischevious mutt on your hands? Then you may know this scenario. You walk in the door and your pal greets you with elated tail wagging, wiggling and sloppy doggy kisses.
Can Cats And Dogs Live Together As Friends?
Can cats and dogs live together without constantly being at war? It seems that they very often can.We often hear people claim to be a "cat person" or a "dog person", but browsing through the various pet forums it appears that there are many of us that equally like both cats and dogs.
Dog Jewelry: A Celebration of Mans Best Friend
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent.
Guinea Pigs Health
Guinea Pigs make great pets and are fairly easy to care for. They love to be touched and cuddled.
How To Stop Your Dog From Barking - Training Your Dog To Keep Quiet
Quieting a barking dog is a quick and easy process. Really.
A Dog Name is Something To Be Chosen Carefully
How important is a dog name? Well let's think about this.How often do you call your dog? Who will hear your dog's name? Will you be writing to anyone about this dog?Now that you think about the times you'll use the name, maybe you should put some thought into what that dog name is.
New Book Helps Worried Owners Of A Pregnant Cat
'Help, my cat is pregnant and I don't know what to do!' Not a day goes by without someone posting this message to an Internet forum.Worried cat owners will know what to do if they read How To Take Care Of Your Pregnant Cat.
Why Cats Flip For Catnip
If you've ever watched as a cat "flipped" over fresh catnip perhaps you've been struck with the question; "what causes Catnip to affect cats that way?" Catnip is indeed an unusual phenomenon among cats, it has the ability to alter your cat's behavior like nothing else can. So what exactly is the reason for what scientists have coined as "the Catnip effect"?Unfortunately for such inquisitive minds the exact reason of why Catnip affects cats in such a manner remains mostly a mystery.
Dog Health Conditions and Terms You Should Know...
Some Dogs like Boxers unfortunately, are prone to several potential health problems such as:- Skin allergy- Food allergy- Cancer- Hip dysphasia- Bloat- Heart ailments- Hypothyroidism- Fleas- WormsKnowing what they are will help you to better monitor your pet's health and to gather the pertinent information, in case of an illness, that would assist your veterinarian to administer the correct diagnosis and treatment. Below are some common afflictions of Boxers.
Seeing Past Cuteness When Selecting the Best Dog Breed For You: Part 3 of 3
Are there so many great dog breeds out there that you just can't decide where to begin? If so, let's break it down and sort through all the options. In Part 3, the final article in this three part series, we'll continue looking at the seven Groups of dogs that are acknowledged by the American Kennel Club.
The large animal organizations and the public money.It is said that in America, anything the imagination can conjure upcan be attained with persistence.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List