|Complete List of Pet Articles @ PetManiacs.com | Home|
7 Puppy Naming Tips
You've picked out the perfect puppy. You spent hours on the internet, researching the right breed for you and your family. Then you went from breeder to breeder or humane society to humane society, meeting and greeting pups until you find just the right match.
Now what? He needs a name!
Over the course of its life, you will use your dog's name more than 35,000 times. So be sure you're picking a name you can live with and love.
With these seven simple steps, the key to finding the perfect puppy name is at your fingertips!
- Dogs understand short commands. Easy names with two or fewer syllables work well.
- Your puppy's name shouldn't sound like any commands. "Stacy" and "stay" are too close for comfort. Such a name will only confuse the issue.
- Remember, you'll be using your pup's name in public. "Boner" may be cute among your fellow fraternity members, but it won't go over well at the veterinarian.
- Make your kids part of the decision process. Kids like it simple, too, so if calling your Champion Cavalier King Spaniel "Bootsie" works for them, consider keeping the hoity toity name strictly for AKC purposes.
- You may think it's an honor to name your pup after you're favorite Uncle Norbert. Naming your baby after him may keep you in the will, but naming your puppy after him won't.
- If you're bringing home an older dog, ideally, stick with the name it already owns. Can't stand it because "Barney" was the first boy who broke your heart? Then stick with similar sounds when choosing a new dog name. "Barney" morphs into "Farley" easily.
- Once you've chosen a name, try it out for a day or so. You'll know right away whether it's a keeper. If not, there's always more puppy names on your list!
Take a look around you. Everywhere you are, you'll find a variety of terrific ideas on what to name your pooch.
At first glance, a couple things will stand out about your new puppy. Enjoy him or her for a day or two and take these into consideration.
- Appearance. What's your dog look like? His color, size, and personal style inspires a variety of name choices. "Stubbs" would be a great name for a dachshund pup. Or you may call a cream colored cock-a-poo "Buffy."
- Personality. Given a couple of days, your new dog's personality will really shine through. Try "Cuddles" for the sweet little guy who loves to get cozy or "Puddles" for the pooch who can't seem to find the doggie door.
If you want to go beyond the basics, many famous dog names or foreign dog names can fit the bill. Consider these favorite puppy names when making your decision.
- Celebrity puppy names. Today, pooches have more celebrity following than their famous owners. Chew on "Lola," a name used by both Hilary Duff and the Osbournes.
- TV dogs. "Scooby" and "Astro" come to mind if you want to honor a famous TV pup.
- Movie dogs. Cool movies and cool dog names seem to go hand in hand. Cool Hand Luke's "Blue" would be a fitting label for a variety of dogs. Or try "Bodie," from the weeper Steel Magnolias.
- Comic dogs. "Snoopy" will always be a favorite, but also consider "Daisy" or "Odie."
- German dog names. For starters, try out "Fritz" or "Kaiser."
- Irish dog names. "Finn" fits well for any pup, as does "Murphy," which just happens to mean "hound of the sea."
- French puppy names. "Pierre" and "Gigi" are top contenders for any dog, especially those with a little oo-la-la in their genes.
The choices are endless. However, with these simple tips and some thought, before long, you'll have found the perfect puppy name!
Want to find a puppy name? The author, Jennifer McVey, uses her free time searching for common and not-so-common names for your canine friends. As webmistress of http://www.favorite-puppy-names.com, she delivers a comprehensive dogs name list along with great naming tips to help make the puppy naming process easy and fun!
The Benefits of Large Birdcages
We've all heard the phrase, "Free as a bird." In the wild, birds are free, flying from tree to tree in effortless abandon.
Life Long Nutrition A Comparison of Dog Foods
This article discusses two foods in paticual. For the puppy stage, Eagle Pack Puppy food and for the adult stage, Royal CaninLabrador RetrieverPuppy NutritionWhen deciding on the nutritional components that will determine the diet of my pups it is important to recognize and keep the following key factors at the forefront:- The pups will mature quickly, meaning that they will need the best diet possible to allow them to safely grow with the aid of the necessary amounts of the 6 major nutrients present- Starting at birth and lasting for the first 5-6 weeks of life, my pups will need a high quality Colostrum based formula due to them not being able to ween at birth.
Crate Training Dogs & Puppies- FAQ
1) Why should I crate train my dog? Crate Training is the fastest and most humane method of housebreaking dogs. Have you ever seen a dog under a table, chair or bed? The reason is that dogs naturally want to seek shelter, even in a house.
What You Should Never Feed Your Dog
Unfortunately, there are a number of household items which we tend to take for granted that are potentially very dangerous to your dog's health. It is especially important to be aware of this because as you know, dogs are essentially scavengers and will often eat just about anything they can sink their fangs into.
Ensure a Good Relationship Between Your Cat and Your Kids
Many parents know that the best way for children to learn compassion and the importance of keeping commitments is by helping to care for a pet. Children learn from watching the adults in their lives.
How to Keep Your Cat Free from Diseases with Your Quick Guide to Cat Grooming
Even a cat that compulsively cleans itself can benefit from a little grooming from her owner. Cats rarely need a bath, but frequent brushing removes a lot of loose hair which would otherwise end up either shed around your home or swallowed by the cat, creating constipating hairballs.
Basic Discus Fish Care
Are you thinking about getting some discus then and want to know a little about them. Have you been to the aquatics and seen some lovely colourful discus in there show tanks.
Pet Vitamins are Essential for Your Dogs Health
Vitamins for Pets - How Essential Are They?A vitamin supplement for pets is essential to your pet's wellbeing unless you're already feeding your pet its natural raw diet in precisely the proportions it would eat in the wild. If not, your pet is, to a greater or lesser extent, deficient in vitamins which it needs for optimal health.
Chinese Shar Pei Character
If you have never seen a Shar Pei before, the first impression might just as well be that of a kind, though independent, even arrogant clodhopper. Indeed, these dogs are often arrogant with strangers.
The large animal organizations and the public money.It is said that in America, anything the imagination can conjure upcan be attained with persistence.
Guinea Pigs Health
Guinea Pigs make great pets and are fairly easy to care for. They love to be touched and cuddled.
Problem Barking-What to Do When Your Dogs Barking is The Neighborhood Nuisance
Puppies and dogs, as mentioned, are social creatures. Whenthey don't get the attention they need, then a bark is theirmethod of telling you something.
Crate Training Tips: How to Crate Train Your Dog
A crate is a valuable and useful training tool. Its main purpose is to provide security, safety and protection for short term confinement while training a puppy or new dog about its own and house boundaries.
Protecting Yourself From Online Pet Classifieds Scams!
Internet Fraud, Classifieds Scams, Abuse and Suspicious Replies are world wide issues that have become widespread in targeting sellers and buyers everywhere specially on the Internet. Often this involves buyers from Nigeria, Africa, Holland and other countries.
So You Want an American Pit Bull Terrier?
You've made up your mind, it's the American Pit Bull Terrier youwant as your companion. Are you ready for this breed? Read thisarticle and then decide if you want to go ahead with yourdecision.
Declawing Your Cat
This is a very controversial topic which has a lot of emotion behind but it needs to be looked at. As a cat owner who has experienced difficulty dealing with a cat scratching issue in my home, it is difficult not to be biased but let's give the issue of declawing its due and see what exactly the pros and cons are.
Dog Crate Training: The Basics
Dog crate training is one of the most effective ways of modifying your pet's elimination habits. If your puppy or new pet has decided that they want to leave puddles or other unsightly messes around your house, then taking a closer look at this method may be in order.
Dogs And Their Allergies
A former coworker has a dog that had begun itching and scratching incessantly. So much so, he had worn away a lot of his fur.
So, You've Decided To Kill Your Pet!
The other day I was doing a research online for an article I was writing and I came across an article, which the author started by saying: "Euthanasia, is often the hardest thing to do, yet the greatest act of kindness" Then he went on explaining the "grueling" suffering and the guilt the pet owner goes through before making the decision, how it affects the whole family, especially the kids. But then he explains euthanasia in the most loving way I've ever seen someone describe a murder.
How To Get Your Horse From Pulling Back While Tied
Some people have horses they don't dare tie. Why? Because they break their halters and/or crossties.
PetManiacs.com's Free! Pet Classified Ads
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Click here to Post your ads | View by Location | View by Subject
Pet Website Owners Wanted
Pet Maniacs home | site map | Pet Article List